Bridges are a non-removable solution to many cosmetic and dental health problems that can occur in your mouth. Some of the reasons for needing a bridge include the following:
- Fill the spaces of missing teeth
- Maintain facial structure
- Prevent remaining teeth from drifting out of position
- Restore chewing and speaking ability
- Restoration of your smile
- Upgrading a removable partial denture to a permanent dental appliance
There are a variety of different bridges. Consulting with the dentist is necessary for deciding which option fits your particular circumstance. The most commonly used bridge is the porcelain fixed bridge, because it resembles your natural teeth. This type of bridge consists of two or more different crowns that are cemented on anchoring teeth (abutment teeth). The crowns are attached to the pontics (artificial teeth), that fill the space created by one or more missing teeth.
While they may eventually require replacement, bridges are made durable and strong. They are expected to last many years and provide you with a complete and functioning mouth and smile.